Enhance Lexington’s recycling and waste management programs.
Some environmental benefits of recycling include:
- Reducing the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserving natural resources such as timber, water and minerals
- Increasing economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
- Preventing pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saving energy
- Supporting American manufacturing and conserves valuable resources
Lexington is serviced both by a municipal waste management program, as well as private haulers. The City of Lexington has a fully functioning municipal recycling facility (MRF) to sort recycled waste and separate it with machines, compared to some adjacent counties. The City also holds many special events throughout the year to assist citizens in waste disposal and other needs, such as household hazardous waste, paper shredding, the “Gobble Grease Toss” and mulch giveaways. Lexington also has a composting program for residential yard waste. Such events promote community engagement and education in addition to their environmental benefits. These programs should be continued and expanded.
Effective waste management is equally as important to keep the Bluegrass beautiful as building attractive neighborhoods, and builds quality of life while improving the health and the appearance of the community. Additionally Lexington’s curbside pick-up makes recycling more convenient, and should be continued and expanded into other areas where not currently available or less frequent.